Monday, November 2, 2009

The Big Banging Birth Order

A few weeks ago my in-laws, Adam, and I went and to a taping of The Big Bang Theory, and we had a blast. Jim Parsons and Johnny Galecki (also played David on Roseanne) were oh so good, and oh so cute. And did you know that Johnny Galecki played Rusty Griswold on Christmas Vacation? He looks nothing like he did then, so that totally blew my mind to find out that was him. And now your mind is blown too. Blown, I tell you! We had so much fun at the taping, that we decided we wanted to see more live tapings before we move away from California in a few years. By the way, The Big Bang Theory is one of the best sitcoms ever.

The day after the taping I had class. I was really bemoaning being alive that day, because after having guests all week, I was just craving some down time. I'm the kind of person who needs tons of alone time to just do nothing to recharge my batteries. I get really cranky without that. But I'm no longer an undergrad, and if I miss one class I lose 4 points from my final grade, so its not worth it. But we had fun in class that night, we were talking about birth order, so we broke into groups according to our place in the family to discuss similarities and differences. Once we had talked for about ten minutes, each group presented what they found. My group, the babies, were very undeceive and didn't want to put ourselves into any one category. Then she moved onto the oldest children, they started spouting off statistics like 95% of us play musical instruments. Also, 80% felt that their parents treated them like babysitters. The rest of the class was dying laughing, because we couldn't believe how exact they were being. And then the teacher forgot to talk the to middle children, and moved on. This of course was hilarious, because the middle children always say they are the forgotten children (and suffer from Jan Brady syndrome, Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!).

It was interesting how each group acted out the stereotypes of birth order. The oldest kids were structured, the babies were all over the map, and the middle children were briefly overlooked. I love that kind of stuff, but I'm such a pysch nerd. Since that night, we have had a funny rivalry going on in our class. If someone who is the baby in the family accidentally interrupts an older kid they yell, "Isn't that just like the baby of the family!" And anytime an oldest kid offers suggestions, we accuse them of being bossy. And who cares what the middle child does, JUST KIDDING. We are having blast, and I love everyone in my program.

1 comment:

  1. I watched the Big Bang Theory once....it was a hoot! I never think about it until "after" it has been on. The oldest in the birthing order always considers themselves the self appointed boss of everything....my brothers say I was that way, and I see it in my oldest daughter ~ even when I'm standing right there! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I always read my comments. But sometimes I make a mental note to go comment back on your blog, and then forget to (Even if I’m an avid read of your blog, whoops). Since I'm so bad about this, I will mostly reply to comments in my comment section, so please check back! If you have something pressing to talk to me about you can e-mail me at brittanyervin86@yahoo.com.
Britt

 

Design by Peachy Keen Design