Tuesday, June 2, 2009

For My Nephew


My niece Kayla, sister-in-law Melissa, brother William (BJ), and niece Cassie

Dear Caden,

You will enter this world in less than a month, and I couldn't be more excited to meet you. But to be honest I haven't always felt this way. When I first found out you were on the way, I was devastated. This really had nothing to do with you, but more with the circumstances you were being born into. These past few years have been some of the hardest and most devastating times for our family. Your father and mother had morphed into people I no longer recognized, and found hard to be around or love in the way I once had. They were throwing their lives away, hurting your sisters, and draining all of us physically, emotionally, and financially. We were simply counting down the years until both of your sisters turned 18 and could leave. I didn't know what kind of life you would get to have and I was scared for you. I knew you deserved better.

One day your grandmother called and told me they were planning on naming you William Tate. But they would call you Tate. We were hoping they would stick with that so we could call you Tator Tot! For the first time since I knew about you, I was excited. But soon they decided they would name you William Cade, and call you Caden. This started a war in your household. Your sister Cassie thought "Caden" should be spelled with a "C" like her name, but your other sister Kayla insisted it should be a "K" like her. And everyone in the family weighed in, and eventually "C" won out. I just wanted you to know, that your name was that important.

You were in your mother's belly at my wedding to Uncle Adam. I put my hand on her stomach and you kicked just for me. As if you already knew what a cool Aunt I was going to be. And believe me I am an awesome Aunt, just ask your sisters. I NEVER SAY NO. You also have me to thank for your nursery, I had gifted your mom some Cars bedding and she used that as inspiration for your whole nursery. I promise to always get on the floor and play with you, to be there for you when you need me, and to love you in the same way I have loved & lived for your sisters these past 14 years.

Caden you have given your parents a new purpose in this life. Because of you they have become the best version of themselves. They have cleaned up their lives, and are happy again. You have brought our entire family back together. I had given up on life ever being the same way as it once was, but now it is better than it even was before. I was 8 & 10 years old when Cassie & Kayla were born, it was a different time, and it was easier for me to be excited back then. I wish I had felt the way I feel about you now from the beginning. But I want you to know you were/are a blessing, disguised as a disaster, sent from God to put the broken pieces of our family back together. I love you and I can't wait to meet you, my only nephew.
Love,
Aunt Brittany
Quotes
365 days ago (give or take):
Really? I was thinking even if the sword didn't cut completely through the neck on the first try, it might still knock you out and then you would feel no pain.
A really interesting conversation with Adam?

4 comments:

  1. Very touching!

    Like the new site design too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is beautiful. What a great idea. I hope you share this letter with him someday. *Sniff* it brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful touching letter to your nephew.. :) I touched by your words, I hope one day he can read this too.. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I always read my comments. But sometimes I make a mental note to go comment back on your blog, and then forget to (Even if I’m an avid read of your blog, whoops). Since I'm so bad about this, I will mostly reply to comments in my comment section, so please check back! If you have something pressing to talk to me about you can e-mail me at brittanyervin86@yahoo.com.
Britt

 

Design by Peachy Keen Design