Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Knocking on Proverbial Wood

If you had asked me a year ago what I would be doing after college graduation, I would have told you I was moving back home and possibly going to grad school in Florence. Yes, I was dating Adam at the time but we had just gotten serious, and hadn't even discussed the possibility of living with each other.

That choice was really made over the summer. I spent three months living with Adam in a studio apartment. There was no opportunity for privacy except in the bathroom. It was basically one, big, three-month long staring contest. To top it off there was no air conditioning. Sometimes days were so hot and so miserable, that it was like living in a sauna (without the creepy naked people and awkward conversation).

On top of that we didn't have cable. That is one whole summer without America's Top Model marathons, MTV's silly reality shows, and all the other really bad tv that is rotting my brain. Adam isn't poor and has a good job. But things are so expensive out there he just likes to conserve money. While I am a Super Goddess extraordinaire, I am by no means a pampered princess and i can live without such things. Though I never had before.

But I love people’s reaction when I tell them we had no air. It is like the equivalent of your grandpa’s “walked ten miles to school, both ways, in the snow, without shoes, over broken glass, while fearing an attack from the Russian’s” stories.

Halfway through the summer is when we decided to move in together. I figured if we could live together for three whole months with no privacy, air conditioning, or cable tv-we could make it just about anywhere.

After that things just started falling into place. In March we got engaged, and we are getting married in April. I'm closing up shop here at school on May 9th-and will set out for California on May 10th. Barely anytime to wrap my head around it all.I've been reluctant to mention this because I'm almost afraid it will slip out of our hands . I'm not suppositious, but I'm usually terrified of wanting something too much.

We always knew we would get a bigger place, but most likely thought it would be an apartment. But we came across this adorable 1 bedroom/1 bath cottage. It has a laundry room that comes with a washer and dryer. It has a backyard so that I can get my wiener dog named Molly.It has a Murphy bed that folds into the wall and you cannot tell its there for guests. This always makes me think of that episode of I Love Lucy where Lucy and Ethel get trapped inside of one, hehe.

It has beautiful hardwood floors, and newly painted walls. It is in our price range and in a safe neighborhood.I never even imagined that we could live in a house. And now that I know it's possible I just want it so bad. I feel like this is the place we are supposed to get. I'm just trying to keep the faith, keep praying, and crossing my fingers.

1 comment:

  1. How awesome is that! The house sounds wonderful, I hope you get it! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I always read my comments. But sometimes I make a mental note to go comment back on your blog, and then forget to (Even if I’m an avid read of your blog, whoops). Since I'm so bad about this, I will mostly reply to comments in my comment section, so please check back! If you have something pressing to talk to me about you can e-mail me at brittanyervin86@yahoo.com.
Britt

 

Design by Peachy Keen Design