Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I'm a Good Girl, I Am

I wouldn't say that I am an immature person, I mean I don't find ALL fart jokes funny, just most of them. And sex is not something I shy away from, or talk about constantly either. But I admit the word penis can be slightly fun to say, so say it with me now-PENIS, PENIS, PENIS. But even with all the sophistication that my Southern blood & raising is supposed to have given me (ha), today I was confronted with a situation that I didn't quite know how to handle. I was tutoring one of my pupils, let’s call her Nicole. Nicole and I were doing an activity which involved taking a word, crossing out the vowel, and making a new word. (For example-bat could become bet).

She was struggling a little bit, so if she couldn't get it on the first try, I would have her simply guess a random vowel. If it was wrong, I would sound out the make believe word, and she would laugh and laugh. (Apparently I was a comedian in a past life). Things were going swimmingly until we got to the word dock. I felt sure she could solve this one, I started thinking of all the words that could be made-deck, duck, and ...... I started to hope that she wouldn't write that one word, but when I glanced down at the paper there it was-dick.

Nicole was looking at me, waiting for me to tell her if it was right or wrong. I was frozen & wondering how to handle this situation. I was sitting in a room with her entire family, who might giggle when I said it, or misinterpret the situation. I also knew I could just be over reacting, since I am often living on the edge of crazy, and one sudden movement might throw me over that cliff. In the end, I just told her it wasn't correct, and I didn't quite know how to pronounce it.

By my own admittance, this probably wasn't the best way to deal with the situation. As Adam pointed out, I could have just said it was, "Dick" like the name. But I just didn't think of that. I do want to mention that the two words that came immediately after dick were balls & nuts. Coincidence? You decide.

1 comment:

  1. That's funny. Maybe you were sending out a sexy vibe or something. :)

    There is also that phrase about "dick (or dicking) around". I don't know if it is about a cock or not. But it could have worked as an explanation too. Should the situation come up again you'll be ready now. :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I always read my comments. But sometimes I make a mental note to go comment back on your blog, and then forget to (Even if I’m an avid read of your blog, whoops). Since I'm so bad about this, I will mostly reply to comments in my comment section, so please check back! If you have something pressing to talk to me about you can e-mail me at brittanyervin86@yahoo.com.
Britt

 

Design by Peachy Keen Design