Monday, June 23, 2008

Reflections

I have spent so much of my time this weekend watching Law & Order, that I might as well call it the lost weekend. Do I regret it? Not Really. Chris Noth and Vincent D'Onofrio are both two men that I wouldn’t mind spending the night with. *Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge* But I can’t decide if watching Law & Order has convinced me that I could never, ever get away with a crime, or that I now know all the secrets of the cops and I totally could.

Other than watching too much TV, Saturday Adam and I got Pucked at Fudpuckers, and picked up our very own air-conditioning unit at Target, to help stifle the heat wave. I do miss the central air I so took forgranted in Alabama. Which reminds me, I’ve been in Callyfornya for 38 days now. That is 38 days without sweet tea, fried okra, or the sight of an outhouse. And although I have had severe sweet tea withdrawals, I still feel like I made the right choice.

I love Adam, and I love the conversations we have. I love the time we spend together and he makes me laugh until my sides split. I love our new house, our new bed, and our new life. I’m starting a job that I’m hopeful about on Friday. And I have every reason to be over the moon happy, and I am. But there is a but, isn’t there always a but? I miss my girlfriends. I not only missed them, I ache for them. Boys are all well and good, but it’s not the same as a night out with the girls. While I’ve never been a social butterfly, I have always had my groups of really close girlfriends. I’ve had my St.Louis childhood friends, my high school posse, and my MUW girls. The type of friends that will tell you, “Yes that shirt makes you look like a bloated hippopotamus and if you go on a date with that guy I will tell everyone you’ve lost your mind.”

And my anxiety rules me in the way that I am extremely phone phobic. So I only get the courage to call my best friend once a week, buts it’s not the same. And I’m so shy I don’t even know how to go about making friends out here. I know things will eventually fall into place, and understand I’ve only been here 38 days and these things take time. But I think I just wanted to vent a little. Have any of you gone through this before?

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl , I found your blog by accident and I simply love it,
    I am so happy for your new life and Adam and I am very sure you make friends easily with your bubbly and witty nature.Its normal to feel like that when you just moved into a new place.
    I like your blog so much , you are in my blogroll ,I hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we moved far away from home to start a new life, we experienced very similar things to what you describe here. In so many respects, the new place will never be the same as where you came from. But over time, you'll lay down roots and build connections with new folks with whom you'll eventually be able to share good times as well.

    You just need to give yourself the time to settle in. And in the meantime, you have each other, which is the most important thing of all.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I always read my comments. But sometimes I make a mental note to go comment back on your blog, and then forget to (Even if I’m an avid read of your blog, whoops). Since I'm so bad about this, I will mostly reply to comments in my comment section, so please check back! If you have something pressing to talk to me about you can e-mail me at brittanyervin86@yahoo.com.
Britt

 

Design by Peachy Keen Design